Reasons why you and your members should join the Dementia Action Alliance
There are also sound business reasons for businesses to get involved and these can be found below. We hope they will encourage you to take action and become a member.
- Economic advantage – There is a clear economic case for making it easier for people with dementia to use your services and facilities. This does not mean having to prioritise dementia over other conditions or disabilities. When a business gets it right for people with dementia, it gets it right for everyone.
- Competitive advantage – Research shows that 83 per cent of people with memory problems have switched their shopping habits to places that are more accessible. Becoming dementia friendly will help businesses retain existing customers and attract new ones.
- Increased revenue – There are 850,000 people with dementia in the UK. As a dementia-friendly operation, a business will retain and build on existing custom, both from people living with the condition and from their carers, family and friends.
- Improved customer service – Increased knowledge and awareness of dementia will make staff more conﬁdent when dealing with customers, providing better customer service and reducing the number of complaints.
- Enhanced brand reputation – Becoming dementia friendly will help businesses demonstrate that they value their customers and are aligned to a cause that can be actively promoted to reach out to target audiences.
- Social responsibility and future-prooﬁng – It is estimated that by 2025 there will be over one million people with dementia in the UK. By making changes now, businesses will be anticipating a growing need of customers and staff.
- Complying with the law – under the Equality Act, 2010, retailers have a legal obligation to ensure that consumers are adequately protected and that access to services is as inclusive as possible. This includes making ‘reasonable adjustments’ for customers with disabilities including people living with dementia. We can support retailers and help them comply with this legislation.
- Marketing – Members of the Dementia Action Alliance are given their own page on our website, which the member controls. This promotes the services they offer and lists the 3 things they will do to become dementia friendly. They will also be given a sticker identifying their store as working towards becoming dementia friendly.
- Free – All our work to help businesses become more dementia friendly, including advice, awareness sessions and electronic guides, is free of charge.